Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Touch




Being an oncologist is a special and unique God given opportunity. Of all the types of specialties that I have seen up close, an oncologist has the most special bond with a patient. One that can only happen in the face of the absolute adversity in (to) life - death. Often I am left with no answers to the numerous questions about the disease and the future. Any 'guess'timates are guesses anyway. And, I don't have a crystal ball too. In times like this, an oncologist has to use his best tool out of the whole armamentarium of medicine - the Touch.



A touch between two individuals from two different places, situations and life's circumstances, a touch between someone who has a whole life ahead and another who has the uncertainties that the last breath brings forth. As Dr. Sikov mentioned recently, to some exaggeration, in no field can one touch another person and get away with it, but as a doctor. I don't need to ask, be embarrassed or apologize for the touch. In fact, I usually step it up a notch further - I hug.

In that hug, I experience the joy of knowing another person in a most intimate way, by being his sounding board, a comforter, guide and friend. But, in equal measure, that hug adds value to my life just as it brings value to his dying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment