Saturday, March 28, 2015

Residency tales


Six years ago, I came to this esteemed institution as a novice physician. I felt so incompetent to do anything. My team room had several phones, but I almost always used to come out of the room to this isolated phone to make consult calls so that no one else overhears what I say or how I say it. I was shy, scared and stupid. 


Over these past six years, so many things changed in my life. The hospital progressed too - now we have robots carrying food trays, linen and medicines around the floors. 


I started getting used to a new way of life - computers and electronic medical records. As much as it has revolutionized medical care, I don't think it has changed me much. I still remain a believer in clinical medicine and still firmly believe notes wouldn't cure patients. Or in other words, "notitis don't kill patients". 


Huge buildings, cleaner surroundings and a systematic meticulous style of work enthralled me and left me wondering why we cannot do things at least half as good as this. 


Empty beds amused me, coming from a background of seeing sick people lying on the floor of our teaching hospital. 


I added three more things to my armamentarium - phone, keyboard and mouse. In addition to my stethoscope and pen of course. 


Strict time limits on work hours became the norm and no-more a luxury. 

Six years down the lane, I am more mature and aware of my limitations than ever before. But this experience has given me the confidence that I am as good as anyone anywhere in the world. I know what my strengths are, I know what I lack. That's just what a good training experience should deliver. 




No comments:

Post a Comment