Thursday, March 10, 2016

Motivation to Live

What motivates a stage IV cancer patient with extensive metastatic disease to live and not to die? Why is she fighting and hanging on to dear life? 

MS is a patient of mine. She is in her early 50's and has three daughters. She has extensive disease and is recently wheelchair bound. Always a fighter, she recently asked me a question - "how long will I live?"  

She had worked full time until recently and had been able to walk with a cane. But few weeks ago she became wheelchair bound. 

Her question allowed me to breach a few sensitive topics with her - goals of care and dying. I asked, "what are your goals in life?". 

"I want to live to see my children grow, raise them up, see them marry and have children". 

"What if you are never going to be able to walk?"

"That's Ok. As long as I can see them."

We then talked about dying and how it will come about. I told her she will not be in a state of cognition where she can decide on issues of life support. I asked for guidance. She had it all planned - she doesn't want to be on the life support machine unless I think it is for a brief while. She has two friends who will step in for her should she require assistance to make a decision. 

We ended the visit in perfect communication. I understood her goals in life, and knew her decision not to prolong life on machines. 

She smiled. And told me, "I trust you, doctor. You have to fight for me."

Trust. That word on which the entire doctor-patient relationship lives on. Even after either of them breathes the final breath. 

Finally, she shared me the photo of hers that appeared in a newspaper. She was able to watch her daughter win the championship. What motivates my patients to live in spite of enormous health challenges? Moments like these. 


PS: Name changed to protect identity. Photograph above is shared with permission of the patient. 


No comments:

Post a Comment