Saturday, February 27, 2016

People watching in the mall

Another lazy Saturday morning. This time, I have committed myself to the mall tour. The wife is away in her little shopping spree - which to my joy, is a rare event. I hear it is quite an unusual trait for a woman. And, I am thankful. 

Nevertheless, I am sitting idle in a mall couch. There are three other gentlemen of various age range sitting with me. Slowly, we start talking. And all of us have the same story - valet for the wife. 

It's quite sobering to sit in the mall or in any place and just people-watch. You have various kinds of people walking past you at varying speed, thought and attitudes. Some appear bored, some purposeful, some joyful and glee. Yet, I see an emptiness and weariness in a lot of people. I wonder if my own sense of weariness is getting reflected in those people? Or are they genuinely weary. 

When Jesus said, come to me you who are weary, did he mean these very people? If so, why I, as a man who follows (or attempts to) Jesus is weary and empty? 

One way or the other, this World is not our home. If it were so, we would not feel like this. We are most comfortable and joyful when we are home with the people we love. The nature of my own thoughts show me how far away I am from my eventual home. 

I want to go home! 






No comments:

Post a Comment